Monday, February 27, 2012

Charlotte is here!

After months of nausea and intense heartburn, Charlotte Lea Baker entered the world via c-section weighing in at 8 lbs. 3 oz. and measuring at 21 in. This is my second c-section, and just the other day I was marveling at the radically different experience each section was from the other. For example, Paton was born via emergency cesarean but Charlotte was scheduled for Feb. 22 so that I wouldn't go over my due date. My reaction to the drugs post surgery was more violent w/ this birth than w/ Paton's.


After reflecting upon my experiences at two different hospitals (Paton was born in Missouri), I've compiled a list of praises to my God for his goodness during this pregnancy and delivery.

1. Morning sickness was minimal. Though I experienced nausea, I never had the full-fledged sickness that many do.

2. Though the heartburn was intense at times, it served as a reminder that there was a live child inside me!

3. Though I was considered a high-risk pregnancy, all of the ultrasounds and extra screenings were the same--your baby is healthy, your placenta is healthy...you will probably have a healthy baby. And she is very healthy...not even jaundice was an issue though she tested Coombs positive!

4. The cesarean itself went flawlessly, and Charlotte entered the world screaming like there's no tomorrow (Paton didn't cry right away, and the nurses didn't show him to me...all making for a pretty worried mother).



5. My parents were able to make it out here the day before though the weather and road conditions through Wyoming were less than perfect. My mom's presence was especially comforting as I vomited in the trash can several times due to my body reacting to the meds post-surgery.



6. The nurses were wonderful! My every need was met, and even my wants were fulfilled.

7. My husband arranged for a cleaning lady to come to my house so that I wouldn't have to think about it! She was great!



8. Several church members came to the hospital. It was wonderful to have visitors since there wasn't much I was able to do following surgery.

9. Since my parents were here, Paton was well cared for. Also, Greg was freed up to spend time with me and Charlotte without worrying about Paton or feeling like he had to rush home to relieve a sitter.




10. The surgery was scheduled for 7:30am, but we had to be there by 5:30 for prep. Our dear friend Elaine woke early and watched Paton so that my parents could come to the hospital and see Charlotte as soon they could!

11. My blood pressure was great the entire time. With Paton, it was high rather consistently.

12. Pain meds are wonderful!

13. We were discharged yesterday, and now I'm resting and recovering. God has been so good to us through these last several months. Again and again he proves himself the kind of God one can truly rely on.


1 comment:

  1. Yes, Danielle there were many blessings!Paton a great boy-Baby Charlotte healthy-and most of all we all had a chance to share this miracle!!Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete