Friday, September 16, 2011

Sewing Project

Last week, Paton got a hold of a black Sharpie marker and created artwork on our ottoman. As you can see from the below pictures, he decided upon balloons since that's the newest thing he's learned how to draw. I used Resolve to fade the marks but knew it was hopeless to think that I could actually remove them completely. So the only option was to get online and see if I could order a pre-made, stretchy ottoman cover.





That was easier said than done, since all of the stretchy ottoman covers were too small for my oversized ottoman. Ours is about 38 inches on all four sides and 12 inches deep, and all of the covers online only stretched out to fit 28 inch ottomans. Even raising my budget price didn't help. No one made oversized, square ottoman covers. I did have the option of ordering one that could have been specially made, but that would really blow my budget!

Then a crazy thought popped into my head. Why don't I make one?! This was an especially daunting task since I hadn't used my sewing machine in...oh...probably 4 or 5 years....and then it was only for quilting! So, I made up my mind to save money and try to make one myself. I got the materials and fabric at WalMart since I didn't want expensive fabric on my very first sewing project. WalMart had some faux leather that matched pretty well with my brown sofa, love seat, and recliner. There also was a pattern online for an ottoman cover that I thought looked simple and rather uncomplicated.

So after a couple of hours, finger pricked raw by pins, and a sick stomach (from nerves!), I fit on the completed cover and was amazed that it fit and looked decent! For those sewing masters out there, I certainly don't claim perfection on this project, but I'm so proud of myself for making something that fit!

The corners were complete guess-work. The pattern also called for an elastic fitted bottom so it could fit tightly onto the ottoman, but I actually like it without the fitted bottom.

And now that I've completed this project, Greg wants me to make a slipcover for our couch downstairs...oh dear. Look out, sewing world! Danielle is armed with a sewing machine and is dangerous!



No comments:

Post a Comment