Thursday, May 24, 2012

Three Years Old

Paton's birth was a miracle altogether. I didn't know it at the the time, but three days before my due date my placenta was separating from the uterine wall resulting in Paton's drop in heart rate (placenta abruptio). I thought I was just having contractions and going into labor. Upon being hooked up to many machines, they quickly suspected the problem and sent me into emergency c-section. Even now, everything was such a blur right up to the moment of his birth.



When they took him out of me, he was discolored and not crying. That was the scariest part for me. They proclaimed that he was out yet I couldn't hear him nor did they show him to me. It was as if time froze for a bit. Soon though I did hear his faint little squeak, and my first glimpse of him was on the scale. I was shocked at how little he was--4 lb. 12 oz--and was certain they'd have him hooked up to machines to keep him alive.

But God was gracious in giving us a very healthy little boy who didn't need any assistance to live (aside from the c-section). The doctors told me that my condition was so severe that if we had waited but 15 more minutes to come into the hospital, he would have suffocated in the womb and been still born. The thought of that at the time and even now makes me sick to my stomach.

Paton turned 1 while we lived in Missouri. Since Greg was the youth pastor, we invited the entire youth group plus several others from church. I remember that I had to stick his hands into his cake in order to get him going. He really doesn't like messes...even at 1.


Paton turned 2 right after we moved into our new home in Utah. Since we had just moved in, we didn't have much planned for his party. We had an open house so that the church folks could come over, and I ordered a cake from our local market. Normally I like to make the cake, but since we just moved in and since I was headed to NH in a few days, a pre-made cake was fine with me!


Paton turned 3 just a few days ago. We had all of the toddlers from our church over (plus their parents), and Paton was thrilled to have so many friends around. I thought it was going to be difficult managing that many kids, but it was so easy! I was thankful to have my parents around to help. His birthday theme this year was Mickey Mouse.


I'm very thankful that God has given us three years with this little guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment